All are invited to partake in a Bible Study on the Seven Themes of Catholic Social Teaching
DATE: Last Tuesday of every month beginning with June 28, July 26, August 30, September 27, October 25, November 29 and December 27.
TIME: 7:00 pm
LOCATION: The first session will be held in the Fireplace room in the Rectory basement, the other six sessions will be at Gabriel House.
The US Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) have identified seven core themes in Catholic Social Teaching (CST). The CST Bible Study is a seven-session program exploring those themes.
The first session includes an introduction to CST and sessions two through seven are sessions on each of the other themes. Each session is approximately one-hour long. Leaders of this study act more as facilitators rather than teachers. Knowledge of the material is not a prerequisite for a good study. The discussion questions in each section are meant to be thought provoking, used to open up a discussion into practical ways to live our faith.
- An Introduction to Catholic Social Teaching & The Life and Dignity of the Human Person.
- Call to Family, Community, and Participation
- Rights and Responsibilities
- Option for the Poor and Vulnerable
- Dignity of Work and the Rights of Workers
- Care for God’s Creation
Components of the Bible Study
- Opening Prayer: Come Holy Spirit. The group is free to adapt or use a different opening prayer.
- Bible Passage and Discussion Questions: Each session a bible passage related to the given theme is read. Questions are provided to prompt group discussion and reflection, but members should feel free to discuss whatever questions or insights the passage raises for them. It is not a requirement that all questions be used in the discussion.
- Catholic Relief Services Theme Video: There are recommended You Tube videos for each theme of Catholic Social Teaching. The website address is provided in each session. All of these videos are found on the same page provided by CRS. The use of these videos is optional. They are best used as an introduction to the session. The videos are 3 to 5 minutes in length.
- USCCB Teaching: A brief teaching from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) on each theme with discussion questions is provided. Feel free to discuss other questions that may arise apart from the prepared questions.
- Challenge Activities: This activity is provided to put the session’s theme into action. Group members may decide to do something together, or they may decide what they will do as individuals. Some people may already be doing what is suggested, so it may only be a challenge to continue what they are already doing. Encourage members to commit to one or two things a month.
- Closing Prayer: The closing prayer changes with each session. Groups can use the prepared prayer or use a different prayer that the group agrees to.